Travis Scott, a rapper and organizer of the Astroworld Festival, is facing multiple lawsuits after eight people died and dozens more were injured at the concert on Friday night.
At least three people injured at the Houston concert have filed suits against Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster. The lawsuits also name rapper Drake, whose real name is Aubrey Drake Graham, as well as Live Nation and NRG Stadium.
The Astroworld Festival ended in tragedy last week after a sold-out crowd surged toward the stage during Scott’s performance after Drake made an appearance. Some members of the audience were packed so tightly that they couldn’t breathe, and eight people lost their lives due to the crush.
Scott continued to perform for roughly 40 minutes after law enforcement noticed people going down in the crowd, according to reports.
“The crowd became tighter and tighter, and at that point it was hard to breathe. When Travis came out performing his first song, I witnessed people passing out next to me,” one 20-year-old attendee said. “We were all screaming for help, and no one helped or heard us. It was horrifying. People were screaming for their lives, and they couldn’t get out. Nobody could move a muscle.”
Manuel Souza, who attended the Astroworld Festival, filed a lawsuit against Scott after suffering “serious bodily injuries when the uncontrolled crowd at the concert knocked him to the ground and trampled him,” the lawsuit said, according to CNN.
“Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner,” it continued. “Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors. Their gross negligence caused Plaintiff serious injuries.”
Kristian Paredes, a 23-year-old from Austin, sued Scott and Drake seeking $1 million in damages, accusing the rappers of allegedly “[inciting] the crowd” on Friday night, according to Fox News.
“Live musical performances are meant to inspire catharsis, not tragedy,” Paredes’ attorney, Thomas Henry, said in a press release. “Many of these concert-goers were looking forward to this event for months, and they deserved a safe environment in which to have fun and enjoy the evening. Instead, their night was one of fear, injury, and death.”
Attorneys for Noah Gutierrez, 21, announced a lawsuit over the concert on Sunday.
“We are hearing horrific accounts of the terror and helplessness people experienced – the horror of a crushing crowd and the awful trauma of watching people die while trying unsuccessfully to save them,” Gutierrez’s attorneys said in a statement. “We will be pursuing justice for all our clients who were harmed in this tragic and preventable event.”
Scott released a statement on Twitter the morning after the tragedy, saying he was “absolutely devastated by what took place.”
“Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life,” he continued. “I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need. Thank you to Houston PD, Fire Department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support. Love You All.”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.
View original post