U.S. officials reportedly believe that Iran was “behind the drone attack” on a U.S. base in Syria last week, which comes as the Biden administration continues to try to negotiate with Iran about returning to the Iran nuclear deal.
“Officials said Monday the U.S. believes that Iran resourced and encouraged the attack, but that the drones were not launched from Iran. They were Iranian drones, and Iran appears to have facilitated their use, officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss details that have not been made public,” The Associated Press reported. “Officials said they believe the attacks involved as many as five drones laden with explosive charges, and that they hit both the U.S. side of al-Tanf garrison and the side where Syrian opposition forces stay.”
U.S. forces are at the base to train Syrian forces to fight against Islamic extremists.
Pentagon Spokesman John Kirby said that the attack was “complex, coordinated and deliberate.”
“The protection and security of our troops overseas remains a paramount concern for the secretary,” Kirby said, referring to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, “and that if there is to be a response, it will be at a time and a place and a manner of our choosing, and we certainly won’t get ahead of those kinds of decisions.”
“U.S. military tipped off to attack on base housing American troops in Syria last week and moved them prior to the drone strike,” Fox News reporter Lucas Tomlinson tweeted. “Bomb fragments later found where U.S. troops sleep. U.S. officials blame Iran for launching 5 drones. No U.S. troops killed or injured.”
U.S. military tipped off to attack on base housing American troops in Syria last week and moved them prior to the drone strike: U.S. officials. Bomb fragments later found where U.S. troops sleep. U.S. officials blame Iran for launching 5 drones. No U.S. troops killed or injured.
— Lucas Tomlinson (@LucasFoxNews) October 25, 2021
The attack on the base comes as the Biden administration has tried to get Iran to re-enter the Iran nuclear deal. Iran is now on the brink of having enough nuclear material to create a nuclear weapon.
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett signaled to the world in late September that Israel is preparing to take action to stop Iran from being able to obtain a nuclear weapon.
“Iran’s nuclear weapon program is at a critical point. All red lines have been crossed. Inspections — ignored. All wishful-thinking — proven false,” he said. “Iran is currently violating the IAEAs safeguard agreements — and it’s getting away with it. They harass inspectors and sabotage their investigations — and they’re getting away with it. They enrich Uranium to the level of 60 percent, which is only one step short of weapons-grade material — and they’re getting away with it.”
“Evidence which clearly proves Iran’s intentions for nuclear weapons in secret sites in Turquzabad, Teheran & Marivan — is ignored,” he continued. “Iran’s nuclear program has hit a watershed moment. And so has our tolerance.”
“Words do not stop centrifuges from spinning. There are those in the world who seem to view Iran’s pursuit of nuclear weapons as an inevitable reality, as a done deal, or they’ve just become tired of hearing about it,” Bennett added. “Israel doesn’t have that privilege. We cannot tire. We will not tire. Israel will not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.”
This report has been updated to include additional information.
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.
View original post